One of the greatest joys that I have experienced as a result of my own fitness journey, and at times obsession, is the influence it has had on my family as a whole.
Reasons families that workout together CRUSH together:
- When your family takes part in fitness the understanding of the importance of it in our lives becomes clear to everyone.
- Setting a positive example for the people we love the most, is one of the best ways to motivate and encourage them.
- Our children are like sponges, they always want to do what mom and dad are doing, especially the little ones.
- Nutrition becomes much easier around the house when everyone is on board.
- It’s motivating to have your kiddos want to be fit, and think its fun! Because it is fun, even if we forget that sometimes.
In a lot of ways, we have to think about how our own selfishness can actually be a positive thing in the lives of the people that we love. I agree that taking time away from your children to work on your own health feels crappy sometimes. But the amount of quality that you are able to inject into your own life overflows into the lives of those that are closest to you. When that starts to happen people take notice.
All of a sudden your energy levels are higher, and climbing up the slide the wrong direction isn’t as hard to do, even if it is for the hundredth time. Your patience for that teenager who for some reasons finds it to be the end of the world that you would ask that they unload the dishwasher is a little better. The foods you eat and give to your family provide well-rounded nutrients that they need to feel good about themselves and be fit too.
Before you know it you’re a family of active, motivated, happy, and fit people!
The best part is that now those healthy habits have lead to a family that spends more time together. Whether it is at the gym or on the bike trail, your family is fit and the love and pride you have in each other’s accomplishments become a topic of regular conversation at that dinner table.
No one is perfect, and being tired is very much so going to be a thing still. But when you start to prioritize taking care of your self and your family does the same, it’s a good tired. The kind of tired that leads to a good night’s sleep and another day of crushing goals and achieving dreams!
Jake Haile is our resident morning person here at CrossFit Icehouse and we believe him to actually be spring loaded out of bed each morning. When Jake isn’t pursuing his passion of coaching adults of all levels all over Fargo, he spends his time having dance offs with members, playing rec-league basketball and chasing around his 2 beautiful daughters.